Requirements for IdPs integrated through eduGAIN
In order for IdPs available in eduGAIN to be successfully integrated with MyAccessID and PUHURI, they must fulfil requirements described in this page.
IdPs from eduGAIN MUST use the SAML2 protocol.
Attribute release requirements
IdPs MUST release the following attributes for user to successfully complete registration and use MyAccessID:
- Name, that can be sent as :
- Common Name,or
- Display Name, or
- Given Name and Family Name
- Identifier, that can be sent as:
- subject-id, or
- pairwise-id, or
- persistent name-id, or
- eduPersonPrincipalName*, or
IdPs are required to release also the following attributes for users to successfully use services connected to PUHURI:
- Home Organization
- Assurance - attribute will become mandatory in 2022 (date TBD)
Please refer to Attribute formats for specification of accepted attribute formats.
*Note: In the case the IdP release only eduPersonPrincipalName as the user's identifier, then the IdP MUST either publish the R&S Entity Category in its metadata or release the eduPersonAssurance attribute with value of https://refeds.org/assurance/ID/eppn-unique-no-reassign or the federation in which the IdP has registered has a policy that prohibits the reassignment of the value of the eduPersonPrincipalName attribute.
Level of Assurance requirements
Access to services connected to PUHURI is allowed only with use of identities that fulfil certain identity assurance criteria. To express the required assurance levels, the REFEDS Assurance suite is used.
Requirements are defined for two aspects of identity assurance:
- Identifier uniqueness to ensure unambiguous identification of users;
- Identity proofing and credential issuance, renewal, and replacement to ensure that identity trustworthy represents right natural person.
Level of assurance for an identity issued to a user is expressed at the time of user authentication by the IdP sending eduPersonAssurance attribute with following values:
- https://refeds.org/assurance/ID/UNIQUE; or https://refeds.org/assurance/ID/eppn-unique-no-reassign, and
- https://refeds.org/assurance/IAP/medium or https://refeds.org/assurance/IAP/high
IdPs are expected to support the following entity categories: